NB. Our editing forms for adding items to Virtual Lancaster do not yet display as well as we'd wish in some browsers. If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your browser you may find it easier to switch to Chrome or current Firefox before adding content.
If that's not an option for you, you can still go ahead successfully, just please read this very brief and simple advice first.
Mac users should note that the ‘Media Browser’ — the system for choosing and uploading images to go with a listing or page — is not currently working in some (possibly all) versions of Firefox (Mac). As far as we’re aware, it works correctly in other Mac browsers. We hope to have this bug fixed reasonably soon.
Quick links to add content (you will need to be logged in):
(Please don't forget to tick the 'Ready for publication' box when your item is ready.)
Contribute content - your news, reviews, listings, events and comments
The first step is to register a username for yourself. You can use the link above on the right to do that.
Once you've logged in just use the links below to:
- Add details of an upcoming event to the Virtual-Lancaster Events Calendar.
- Write a news story or feature article.
- Add a listing for a local group, venue or performer.
- Add a listing for a local business, a service, a place, an attraction or an organisation
- Create a series of other content items.
- You can also add reviews of existing listings and events by going to their page and clicking the 'Add Review' button.
- You can add comments under news items too.
You may also find the Virtual Lancaster Writing Guide helpful.
You can start writing an item and Save it and come back to it later. If you go to 'My account', it will be in the list of your content in the right hand sidebar.
When it is ready, you MUST tick the 'ready for publication' box and save it and then it will automatically be queued for moderation.
Other ways of Volunteering for Virtual-Lancaster
We also need volunteers to help behind the scenes, such as:
- Moderating and editing submitted content.
- Drupal site configuration
- Short-term projects, such as one-off technical jobs or checking a section of listings for their up-to-dateness.
- Research for stories and features
- Improvements you'd like to bring in
- Ideas for monetisation / sustainability in keeping with a community website ethos
If you think you can help in any of these areas, and would like to find out more, please contact us.
Finally, although the site is maintained by unpaid volunteers, it still costs money to run. You can help with this by making a donation to our PayPal account.
USING INTERNET EXPLORER (IE) TO ADD CONTENT ITEMS
When you are editing your item in the field of the form titled 'Body':
- When addling links or email addresses, please do not use the hyperlink icon above the field to hyperlink them. Clicking this icon may freeze your window. You would have to close it and start over again. To avoid this, simply write / copy in your URLs as ordinary text. Our moderators will take care of any required hyperlinking for you.
- When you click into the 'Body' field your cursor may become 'drag-and-drop' (cross-shaped). If so, click a second time into the 'Body' field to change your cursor into a text cursor (I - shaped). Then you can go ahead. We apologise for the clunkiness of that field in some versions of IE.
We are working to correct these issues as soon as possible. In the meantime, we greatly appreciate your spirit of can-do.