WARNING We are still ironing out a few Internet Explorer wrinkles on our new site. If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer as your browser please switch to Chrome or Firefox before adding content.
If that's not an option for you, PLEASE read this brief and simple advice first. Please. Or your work might get lost.
Mac users should note that the ‘Media Browser’ — the system for choosing and uploading images to go with a listing or page — is not currently working in some (possibly all) versions of Firefox (Mac). As far as we’re aware, it works correctly in other Mac browsers. We hope to have this bug fixed reasonably soon.
Quick links to add content (these links work only when you’re logged in):
(Please don't forget to tick the 'Ready for publication' box when your item is ready.)
Contribute content - your news, reviews, listings, events and comments
The first step is to register a username for yourself. You can use the link above on the right to do that.
Once you've logged in just use the links below to:
- Add details of an upcoming event to the Virtual-Lancaster Events Calendar.
- Write a news story or feature article.
- Add a listing for a local group, venue or performer.
- Add a listing for a local business, a service, a place, an attraction or an organisation
- Create a series of other content items.
- You can also add reviews of existing listings and events by going to their page and clicking the 'Add Review' button.
- You can add comments under news items too.
You may also find the Virtual Lancaster Writing Guide helpful.
You can start writing an item and Save it and come back to it later. If you go to 'My account', it will be in the list of your content in the right hand sidebar.
When it is ready, you MUST tick the 'ready for publication' box and save it and then it will automatically be queued for moderation.
Other ways of Volunteering for Virtual-Lancaster
We also need volunteers to help behind the scenes, such as:
- Moderating and editing submitted content.
- Drupal site configuration
- Short-term projects, such as one-off technical jobs or checking a section of listings for their up-to-dateness.
- Research for stories and features
- Improvements you'd like to bring in
- Ideas for monetisation / sustainability in keeping with a community website ethos
If you think you can help in any of these areas, and would like to find out more, please contact us.
Finally, although the site is maintained by unpaid volunteers, it still costs money to run. You can help with this by making a donation to our PayPal account.
USING INTERNET EXPLORER (IE) TO ADD CONTENT ITEMS
You can certainly add content items safely in IE if you heed the following:
- Please do not try to add any hyperlinks to your text, as this will freeze your window and you will have to close it without saving and lose your work. Simply write / copy in your URLs as ordinary text. Our moderators will take care of any required hyperlinking for you (in Chrome).
- When you click into the 'Body' field your cursor will become 'drag-and-drop' (cross-shaped). You can't edit with it. You will need to click again into the 'Body' field to change your cursor into a text cursor (I - shaped). Then you can go ahead. We apologise for the clunkiness of that field in IE. We are working on fixing it.