This site is easier to read in landscape format on mobiles.

Lancaster Cemetery

3215380_c13273a5.jpg

Lancaster Cemetery
Lancaster Cemetery - image © Bill Bowden

 

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1001567

Lancaster Cemetery, Quernmore Road, Lancaster, Lancashire LA1 3JT

Telephone: 01524 582635


Lancaster Cemetery was open in 1855 and is one of seven cemeteries operated by Lancaster City Council.  The total area of the cemetery is approximately 18 acres containing areas for Church of England, Non-Conformist and Roman Catholic burials.

Tours of the cemetery are provided monthly during the Summer by Lancaster Civic Society.

At the entrance (c.1855) a stone entrance lodge (listed grade II) in Gothic Revival style lies beside stone gate piers and cast-iron gates. The other entrance is situated at the south-east corner of the site at the junction of Quernmore Road and an access road to houses and to an annexe of the former late-19th-century Lancaster Moor Lunatic Asylum. It has a pedestrian entrance via a stone archway and a stone lodge which is of more simple design than the main entrance lodge. 

There are three cemetery chapels, all designed by the prominent local architect Edward Paley around 1855. The chapels (all listed grade II) are built of stone in Gothic Revival style. A small windowless stone shed beside the Anglican chapel was probably a hearse house. (The chapels are currently unavailable for use.)

The cemetery is open to the general public every day of the year.

https://www.lancaster.gov.uk/environmental-health/cemeteries

environmentalhealth@lancaster.gov.uk

Image © Bill Bowden

 

 

: